The Bremen Overseas Research and Development Association (BORDA) is assisting the Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI), Department of Water Supply, Ministry of Public Works and Transport and local government
partners at the municipality of Pakse and Department of Public Works and Transport (DPWT) in implementing and operating four decentralized wastewater treatment systems (DEWATS Cluster) and one faecal sludge
treatment plant (FSTP) in Pakse city, Champasak province.
The objective of this consultancy is to develop a comprehensive operation and maintenance manual for 4 DEWATS clusters and 1 FSTP. The manual shall provide guidance to the organization’s staff on the operation and maintenance of the DEWATS and FSTP, including preventive maintenance, corrective maintenance, and emergency response procedures. The manual shall also include standard operating procedures (SOPs) for all the critical processes involved in the operation and maintenance of the wastewater treatment facilities.
The O&M specialist will be responsible for the following tasks:
1) Review the current operation and maintenance practices and processes of the plant operator
and conduct a site visit to Pakse city to get familiar with the respective technical solutions on-
2) Develop a comprehensive operation and maintenance manual that includes all the critical
processes involved in the operation and maintenance of the wastewater treatment facilities
(one manual for the DEWATS plant and one manual for the FSTP). The manuals should cover
the following areas:
• Preventive maintenance procedures
• Corrective maintenance procedures
• Emergency response procedures
• Standard operating procedures (SOPs) for all the critical processes involved in the
operation of the wastewater treatment facilities
• Health and safety procedures
• Environmental protection procedures
• Administration and recording tools (provision of template for a simple booklet to keep
records of maintenance and inspection records)
• Monitoring procedures (guideline and logbook template on basic sampling procedures)
3) Conduct a training workshop for the BORDA Laos’s staff on the use of the operation and
maintenance manual and safety precautions on-site
The consultant will be expected to provide the following deliverables:
1) A comprehensive wastewater treatment operation and maintenance manual that includes all the critical processes involved in the operation and maintenance of wastewater treatment facilities.
a. one manual for the DEWATS plant and one manual for the FSTP
b. The manuals shall be delivered in English and Lao language
c. Template of record keeping booklet
d. Short guideline of sampling of treated wastewater and logbook template for sampling
2) A training workshop for the BORDA Laos’s staff on the use of the operation and maintenance
manual (DEWATS and the FSTP)
• A bachelor’s or master’s degree in civil engineering, environmental engineering, or a related field.
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience in the development of wastewater treatment operation and maintenance manuals.
• Familiarity with the operation and maintenance of wastewater treatment facilities.
• Excellent communication and training skills.
• Experience in conducting training workshops.
The consultancy is expected to be completed within 1.5 months from the start date (start date:
15.01.2024 – 29.02.2024).
Note: These terms of reference are intended as a general guide and may be subject to revision and
adjustment in consultation with the selected candidate to meet the specific needs and objectives of the
To apply for the position, please send the following to email@example.com:
• Curriculum vitae (CV)
• Letter of motivation (one-page PDF)
• At least three traceable references (with referee contact details)
• Deadline: 1.12.23
• Email Subject: DEWATS and FSTP O&M Specialist